Wednesday, February 25, 2009

56/365 - Mr. Lucky Starlight

Well, sorry it's been a while since my last post.  Didn't really think there was anything that was technically very hard over the last few weeks (although I may go back and post about my layered shot a few days ago... "Wish I Was Here"

So, the reason this shot is called "Mr. Lucky Starlight" is because this is a series of exposures (as was recommended by flickr user clay.wells...  The Mr. Lucky is referring to the album I was listening to as I was taking the exposures... and it played a somewhat important part in the photo taking process...  it is how I timed out the exposures.  I took on photo per song.  Ended up taking 24 pics for this, each around 4 or 5 minutes.

Well, that presents a bit of an issue because the exposures become slightly whacked out.  So I imported all the images into Apple Aperture and adjusted the histograms on each of the exposures to approximately match.  Then I matched the white balance and then exported the files out as jpgs.

Now I imported the files into Photoshop using the "Import photos as stack" option.  I selected create as smart layers (and I did not automatically align as they were taken on a tripod and didn't have much variation)...  Once I got them imported in I set the Layer Stack Mode to Maximum...

and there you have it.

Mr. Lucky Starlight.

thanks for stopping by.

-Derrick

3 comments:

  1. how do you take 4 or 5 minute exposures on a d90? the longest exposure i could figure out was a minute and a half. i had a 30 second shutter speed using the multiple exposure feature three times. is it something you can only do with the remote?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's best to do it with the remote as you won't shake the camera when starting/stopping the shutter... when in Manual mode (and possibly some of the other modes) you can set the shutter to bulb mode (one step past 30sec exposure)... then i set the trigger mode to remote and then the first click of the remote starts the exposure, second stops it... up to a max of 30 minutes i believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, what about sensor overheating?

    ReplyDelete