Wednesday, February 11, 2009

42/365 - diesel bomb


42/365 - diesel bomb
Originally uploaded by ddiemont
this was an accident... i swear!!!

So, for some reason on the way home from work I bailed on what my original plan for tonight's photo was going to be.  I would spill the beans on what it was, but I'll come back to it once i have a wider lens, which will make that idea more effective.

So, while stopped in traffic I decided to get online with my iPhone and do a little research into how much a lightbox might cost me and where I might go about picking one up...  Well, lucky for me I came across a nice little blog post on Strobist detailing how to make a "do it yourself" lightbox...  sounded like a good idea, cheap, and i want to be able to do cool lightbox photos like this (simplicity roxx).

So, the original idea was similar to this photo... EXCEPT instead of the flames, I was going to have the mist from the perfume spraying out of the bottle...  the plan was to photoshop 2 pics together to make it appear that the perfume was essentially spraying itself.  Great Idea, except I couldn't get the droplets to show up in any way, shape, or form!!!  well, here is where the candle comes into the game.  all i really wanted was a little something to give a different refraction to the mist, making it show up a little more.  Well, I was a little worried about it catching fire, and so I went outside and ran a few test "shots" of the cologne over the candle... and no flames... so, thought it was all good to come in and start shooting...

First shot of the cologne over the candle and BOOM (not noisy, but visually pretty cool).  Since I built the lightbox pretty big, the flames didn't get too close to the walls, and then i set off trying to capture the flames...  with one hand I was shooting off rapid fire shots on the camera and the other I was pumping the cologne...  after about 80 shots I had a few that had some flames that I liked.

a very small amount of post processing later, I had me a nice little diptych (2 pics in this sense are better than 1... at least more exciting)

apologize the last blog was so darn technical... i'll do my best to keep the technicalities down to a minimum in future posts!

thanks for stopping by.
Derrick

No comments:

Post a Comment